dagger's take on things
Tuesday, July 05, 2005
  Face to face with him...
... and all I could say was that we share the same birthday, twenty years apart.

But we're talking about Neil Gaiman here! How freakin' cool is that? You have to understand, my birthday gave me more grief than happiness. It usually falls on the second week of November, which means final term exams. You know how when you were a kid, you were jumping for joy when your birthday approaches in anticipation of the celebration, cakes, parties and gifts? Well I have English, Chinese, Maths and Science to look forward to. On the occasions that there were no exams, it probably meant that I was to receive my report book. The less said of that the better.

Back to topic, when I told him about our shared birthday, he was pleasantly surprised. "Oh really? You must be a Scorpio then." *Mumbles yeah or something to that effect in reply* "Well the world is afraid of us Scorpios aren't they?"

That's right, world! Fear the passion that only those born under in the moon of November can summon! For we are Scorpio, associated with the darkness, and we come under the cover of night and take over what is truly ours! *I had an honest to goodness conversation with Gaiman...*

I got my copies of Endless Nights and Dream Hunter signed. He signed off with the message "Sweet dreams" Kinda anti-climatic, considering what this guy got. Look for the iBook. Now if that doesn't drive me to theft... Better not see that laptop anywhere near me. I will not take responsibility for any illegal act that may take place.

The talk at the library was the best part of the whole evening. There was this surreal conversation beside me where this two schoolgirls were debating the accuracy of a cosplayer's depiction of Dream's hair. At this point, they were referencing different Sandman artists and the different hairstyles they gave Morpheus. Dream then pulled out his prelude and nocturnes and showed them the panel he based his hair upon. At this point, it was all I could do to keep out from bursting of laughter from the sheer ridiculousness of it. Had to adjourned to the drinks corner before I snorted or something. Too funny.

The session with Neil Gaiman began shortly after. He did a reading of Anasi Boys, and I was praying that he might sign the proof copy and throw it into the crowd but it was not to be so. But the Q&A session was really the highlight of the day. The Good Omen movie story (Johnny Depp as Crowley! Robin Williams as Aziraphale and Mdm Tracy! Terry Gilliam to direct! The pain, oh the pain!) was painful to hear, but most interesting was the fact that Gaiman might be working on something with Yositaka Amano-san again! Amano-san have entranced me ever since Final Fantasy VI and it was a pleasant surprise to hear that they are working on something together again. Best news I've heard all day.

Too bad I didn't get to ask him my question. He wrote an essay for SimCity2000 some time back where he talks about cities and their personalities. I would have love to know what kind of city he thinks Singapore is and if being here has given him any inspiration for stories. Oh well...
 
Comments:
Dude, the only way you can steal it is by flying over to Brisbane =).
 
Post a Comment

<< Home
Personal musings and ramblings of a self confessed weird guy who likes taking pictures when inspiration hits him but would much rather hit the road for some cycling rather than study another business or marketing textbook unless it is something that gets his interest which is a lot of things especially general knowledge stuff, Last Chronicles of Thomas Convenent theories, backpacking trips as well as the occasional booker prize winner and oh yes, PS2 when I can find the time.

Name:
Location: Singapore

Smouldering cauldron of contradictions. Loud and obnoxious.

dagger's Reading Bar

ARCHIVES
06/01/2003 - 07/01/2003 / 04/01/2004 - 05/01/2004 / 10/01/2004 - 11/01/2004 / 04/01/2005 - 05/01/2005 / 05/01/2005 - 06/01/2005 / 06/01/2005 - 07/01/2005 / 07/01/2005 - 08/01/2005 / 08/01/2005 - 09/01/2005 / 09/01/2005 - 10/01/2005 / 10/01/2005 - 11/01/2005 / 11/01/2005 - 12/01/2005 / 12/01/2005 - 01/01/2006 / 01/01/2006 - 02/01/2006 /


Powered by Blogger twofifty.org
The Cat Welfare Society
Supported by Tomorrow.sg